Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Coaching Staff Changes

The Southern Illinois Miners announced today that 2B Ralph Santana, who will age out of the league for the 2008 season, will become the team's first base coach next summer.  Santana led the league in hits in 2007 and finished third in the league in batting average.  I am a little surprised by this decision - having seen Santana play last year I would say he still could be considered a prospect by MLB if he put together a good season in an older league like the Northern League, CanAm League, or American Association.  However, if he can coach as good as he can hit, he is going to be a great addition to their staff.

In Traverse City today, the Beach Bums announced that Jason Wuerfel (me) is going to be joining the team's coaching staff in the role of hitting coach.  I took the role of on-field announcer for the squad in our first two seasons, but I am excited to get back in uniform.  There is nothing that I know better than baseball, and while I enjoyed holding the microphone during games, I believe I will be put to much better use in the dugout.  

In other Beach Bums news, we've finalized a couple trades - one with the Northern League and one with the United League.  Official announcements of players that are involved are coming soon.

No comments: